Re: Eunuchs galore!

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:48:15 +1300

At 19:58 10/01/01 -0800, you wrote:

> Not that I'm all
>that sold on this particular idea, but the Kralori, it seems to me, could
>benefit from a few malevolent eunuchs running the East Secretariet.

Kralori Eunuchs are malevolent. Totally. With bells on. As the Glorantha: Intro mentions:

         Over the past century, the number of [outside appointments]
         has steadily increased, and a large number have been eunuchs
         of the palace.  Anonymous pamphlets accuse them of having
         improperly persuaded Godunya into making these appointments
         for their own corrupt purposes.
                         Glorantha: Intro p186.

>(If they are so spiritually advanced that their genitals have gone off
>to the Dragons, that rules out their malevolence, doesn't it?)

It rules out that they are chaotics or antigods, but as for ruling out their malevolence, I'm not so sure. Udam Bagur is with the Dragons but he is utterly feared. The army is with the dragons but have a long list of flaws that Mandarins recite in their sleep. The Mandarins are with the dragons but tolerate the presence of evil in certain areas. Hence I have no problems in thinking of the Eunuchs as Draconic mystics and playing up their corruption.

If you still need a justification, then one might be that the Eunuchs are a relic of Thalurzni's time and their behaviour was perfectly alright then but Kralori society has moved on...

--Peter Metcalfe

--Peter Metcalfe