Electronic files available by subscription [was Re: Digest Number 234]

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:50:40 +0100

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:24:51 -0800
> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Digest Number 234
>
> The problem is that getting electronic files makes it that much easier to
> pirate - the time it takes to scan in a physical book is currently a
> deterrent to most people. And it doesn't even have to be intentional
> piracy - if I have the files handy on my PC, and Jeff says "hey, what's the
> rules for Y in the new book?", it's actually easier for me to send the
> complete file(set) than it is to open the file, search for the subject and
> cut&paste it. It's an "innocent" piracy, I didn't mean to take away money
> from Issaries, but now that's one sale they won't make, and if Jeff is one
> of those "Information wants to be free" radicals, he might decide to publish
> it on his webpage, or just send it to Rec.Games.FRP. Or I might slip and
> send the files to HeroWars or HW-Rules or the digest instead of Jeff, and
> bango, who needs to buy the paper copy?

Sure, Roderick, I understand all that. But please note that your argument is also true of everything that has been published on the GTA pages up to now. Has this information been widely disseminated yet? It doesn't seem so to me, but I might be wrong...

On the matter of the GTA, sooner or later I will join it-no matter what its perks are-just for the feeling of belonging and for "the good of the cause". But becoming a member of the GTA means a one-time payment for Issaries whereas paying subscriptions would mean a steady and regular income flow. On the psychological level, I'm almost sure that many people would gladly pay 10$ each month but have trouble deciding to make the "big step" of becoming a GTA initiate for 100$... Silly, irrational, a bit dumb maybe but true nonetheless!?!

Christoph

P.S.: Funny, I've just heard on Swiss public radio that Stephen King has renounced to sell his books electronically!?! Why the hell does it work for porn and not for other-just as legitimate-businesses?!?