Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:03:34 -0000

The original question didn't say what version of Glorantha they were playing - RQ2 or 3, Hero Wars or Heroquest.

I got out my old box sets of Pavis and Borderlands. On the question of suitable pay for soldiers/ mercenaries Duke Raus pays 10L per week and 500L of spell teaching per year. This is RQ2 of course. In RQ 3 a spell point of training cost 30L! so tweaking may be required.

I think the rates are still good by and large. Of course for HQ/HW you would pay some money to get taught common magic. A contribution to your cult for a magic feat from a deity. But thats a question for the narrator for her campaign.

On the economics questions, then I think that the economy will be fairly self contained. The Lunar garrison will help New Pavis to prosper by bringing outside money in. I think that bringing any money in to supplement the taxes would not be *such* an issue. Every time the relief garrison came then they could bring it. The nomads themselves are not really interested in shiny metal discs (well some are, probably. the 85% all rule?)

The Mint. Well I remember that the Lunars didn't mind so much the minting of coins, but that they would be minted in forms that they don't approve of - ie when the Yelornans control the mint and produce their *silver stars*.

Regards
Rob