Re: Digest Number 235

From: Richard Franey <rick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:06:05 -0000

>why were the Byzantine eunuchs
>cut? If it was just to make them incomplete, wouldn't chopping of a finger
>(or a nose) done as well? Surely there was a sexual motive?

The Byzantine eunuchs were castrated to prevent them fathering children (duh!) :)
In the case of the eunuchs who became government officials (quite high-ranking ones sometimes), the thinking was that if they had no offsping to pass their wealth on to, there would be less temptation for them to extort money out of the government. There would be no reason for them to build a powerbase, as they couldn't pass it on to anyone. The result was a loyal, relatively efficient bureaucracy.

The system worked quite well and for long periods the Byzantine government was dominated by eunuchs.

The "incomplete" body idea which would prevent them becoming Emperor disappeared after a deposed emperor retook the throne despite having his nose cut off when he was usurped. His name eludes me at the moment, but I can dig it up if anyone is interested.

Bye

Rick