Re: Pound for Pound

From: Jeff Kyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:06:58 -0400

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 08:05:35 -0700
> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Pound for Pound
>

> Well, it does if you put the missing "0" at the end (Jeff's original
> calculations were off by a zero - he used 120,000 instead of 1,200,000), so
> that should have been 3750 Kg.
>
> Heck, I'm ~100 Kg all by myself...
>
> RR
> It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this has
> done what he has done.
> - Richelieu

Traditionally, dealing with military and imperal expenditures, one should use the Daran (read "Talent") which is about 25-30 kg (yes, yes, I'm sure some kind folks will debate about the exact size of a talent).

A 3750 kg chunk of silver coinage is about 125-170 talents. From reading things like Tacitus and Gallic War, this seems to be about the right amount of silver to run the operation - assuming it doesn't run itself on plunder.

Jeff

--
Flight to Peru - £1000
Camping gear - £200

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.