RE: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:02:11 +0100

> I think it's exactly analogous to the fact that people think that
> Vingans are "odd". I find it interesting, though, that
> everyone (and I'm
> talking about players here, not Gloranthans) seems able to accept
> Vingans who act like men without batting an eyelid, but the
> converse -
> Nandani men who act like women - is seen as incredibly weird and
> mind-boggling. Something of a double-standard, no?

Probably, yes. Though the analogy with Vinga isn't exact - Vingans are still women. They marry men, not other women. I'm not aware of any cult that turns women into men, rather than just allowing them to do jobs normally done by men.

So the bigotry if any is pure Victorian - homosexuality is Evil, lesbanism just doesn't exist at all. Yet I doubt if many people on this list actually think that way. Interesting, as you say.