Re: Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: Groovelord <coridan_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:06:28 -0400

> > > Why is there an assumption that homosexuality is the primary focus
> > > of Nandan? No one makes that assumption about Vinga, indeed there's
> > > plenty of stuff published that indicates that Vingans are commonly
> >> hetrosexual.
> >>
> >Odd. I never thought that. Personally, I think they make great
> >husbands for Vingans...
>
> I have a hard time imagining why a Vingan would want to marry a woman...

I kind of imagine that sexuality, like all other things in Orlanthi society, serves practical purposes. I kind of get the impression that homosexuality in Orlanthi culture is more of simply a personal choice, as opposed to an 'alternate lifestyle'. As long as a husband or wife fufill their marital obligations, have children, and raise them well, homosexual relationships of either type are perhaps joked about, but that's it. Since only heterosexual relationships can produce children and control inheritance, blood ties and the distribution of property, homosexuality doesn't to me seem as disruptive to Orlanthi society as, say, adultery or incest.

This puts an Orlanthi steadwife in the unique position of being relieved when her husband is found to be having a relationship with a fellow weaponthane or such. "Thank thunder it wasn't another woman!"

Merely my thoughts,

CB