RE: Earth to earth

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:22:46 +0100

> Ah, yes, although you have to knock the peaks down every so
> often, and given
> the level of tech of our people I expect that at certain
> times of year you'd move the building away from the pit,

Depends on how sturdy your building is. If it'll stand up to a Dragon Pass winter, I don't think you'll be moving it.

> Fertiliser's too valuable to leave for one elder bush and
> fruit tree. :-)

Yes, Dorothy had a different scale of usage in mind, I think.

> The question was actually about whether our privies are sweet
> enough that they're built into the longhouse.

Hmm... I suspect not... But then again, ask those wind spirits to do some ventilation?

> Alternatively, at least in those regions
> that have cold winters, are we a chamber-pot-at-night
> society?

What do Eskimos do? It's one of those practical questions.

> It's another
> of those odd things that's become relevant to a story.

Practical things so often do!

> > Dorothy Hartley's "Food in England" ..

> If that's the book with a diagram of how to cook a whole meal
> by packing
> various sealed packages of food into a cauldron so they can
> all cook in the
> simmering water, I think I actually own a copy.

It has such a diagram, yes.