Re: The Battle of Dwarf Ford

From: pmaclanderson <carlalef_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:09:32 -0000

Thank you for provoking thought about this. I haven't run the battle, but some points seem clear:

> In particular I was after the reasons why the Lunars attacked Alda
> Chur [did they get to the city walls?] when the Tarsh civil war was
> still raging.

Alda-Chur was still part of Tarsh in 1565. Therefore the Lunars were stopping it from becoming, like Wintertop, an unconquered section of Tarsh which would serve as 'sanctuary' for their enemies.

[The Duke of Far Point and the Yelmalions hold that Alda-Chur was always really part of Tarsh, even during Tarkalor's reign - and still is. This is one of the issues behind the struggles now (1620's) going on there - but I defer to John Hughes for details.]

[Tarsh's border, as claimed, once ran further south: there is a boundary marker from the early 1400's, near Wilmskirk, labeled "This is the stone with its back towards Tarsh" and "This is the stone with its back towards Kethaela". No one is currently claiming that Sartar/the Quivini Hills Military District is part of Tarsh - nor will they, until a King of Tarsh next becomes King of Dragon Pass; but the possibility's there.]

> Why was the battle actually staged at Dwarf Ford?

Because it is the northernmost ford on the River (IIRC) and the one the Lunar army used, and a ford is a chokepoint. The plan was to attack the front of the Lunar army once it got across the ford, and then hold the ford against the other half as it came up out of the water.

> Was the Lunar advance halted there or did the Lunars reach Alda
Chur
> only to be driven back?

The Sartarites broke "like a rainstorm against the hills" once the King and many of the Chiefs were dead. Otherwise Jarosar (who was of age to reign) would not have escaped, or needed rescuing, but would have assumed leadership at least until the battle was over.

> 'Prince Jarolar is killed at the Battle of Dwarf Ford while
> *attempting* to aid the Aldachuri against a Lunar Invasion at the
> Battle of Dwarf Ford. His son Jarosar is rescued by Kostajor Wolf-
> Champion and is later acclaimed Prince of Sartar' [KoS].

*'attempting to aid' implies that he failed. MGF would seem to be that the Lunars reached Alda-Chur, and beseiged it, but were sufficiently reduced by Dwarf Ford that they eventually offered terms to the City - or can be persuaded to do so if the PCs defend it well.