Re: Re: Flying fighters?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:09:11 -0700

> > I think it depend of the flyer strength, when you see some
> > eagles able to lift rabbits, you can imagine, the comparative
> > body weight are: royal eagle are around 4-5kg rabbits are around 4kg
> >
> > so looking at that a flyer could lift for relatively short
> > distance its own weight.
> >
> > now of course this is not the common lifted weight, i would
> > say limited to 1/10 of your own weight for long distance, so
> > not much more than one weapon and for sure no metallic armor.
>
> Makes perfect sense to me, thanks.
>
> How about speed? I don't think we want them flying as fast as eagles, do
> we? Faster than walking? Than running? Than a galloping horse?

All of these depend on the ability of the devotee, it's *his* breath provides the "Steed" that he rides on (the *really* cool guys ride standing up, the moderate ones sit on the steed, and tyros ride lying down).

You'd match his "Fly Fast" against his opponent's "Run Fast" or whatever. Similarly, you'd match "Carry" vrs the weight of whatever he's carrying. However, take the Bonus Value of all his equipment and use it as a penalty to his entire "Flight" affinity.

Frex, a brand new devotee flyer wants to go up while fully kitted out. Chain shirt & Helmet & Shield & Spear & Sword would give him a -10 penalty on his "Flight 17", for a total of "Flight 7" - not exactly the best ability rating. Now take the same equipment and put it on an experienced devotee of Vanganth, with "Flight 15w2" and he's got "Flight 5w2" ability - still appreciable. (Not to mention that a high-level devotee would probably have some sort of weight reduction magic on his stuff...).

As far as Vanganthi fighting, they are skirmishers. The sword is a last-ditch close-in weapon, not a primary arm. Strafing runs made by diving down and throwing javelins would match my idea of how they fight - think "light cavalry in the sky". A nasty trick by experienced flyers would be to use Griffon tactics - swoop down, pick up your opponent, then drop him. Vanganthi are also the most useful weapon against enemy flyers (that's where their Secret comes in handy) - they can engage the enemy far above the ground.

I wouldn't normally think of them as Aerial Dragoons (only using their breath as a battletaxi), because like all mounted troops, it is beneath their dignity to "dismount".

RR
- Richelieu