Re: Spearing men on the ground

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:42:37 +1200

Greg wrote:

>I recall reading someplace that a study done on the dead on a Napoleonic (I
>think) battlefield revealed that the corpses generally had a half dozen or
>more
>lance stabs, made as the lancers rode over them who would stab the corpse just
>to be sure.

IIRC this was done after a battle (or two) against Russian infantry. The infantry threw themselves on the ground in the face of a cavalry charge to let the cavalry run over them. Since the horses wouldn't trample them, the Russians then got up and emptied their firearms into the backs of the cavalry. The French put lancers among their cavalry after that.

--Peter Metcalfe

---