Re: Re: Flying fighters?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:21:41 +1000

No 'Great Sage, Equal of Heaven?' Alas, poor, poor, deprived American. :(

As Peter said. A seventies Japanese pop-version of 'Journey to the West'. Two series. Monkey, Piggsie, Sandy and Horse - A Monkey god, a pig spirit, a Taoist water demon and a shy horse/dragon are forced, because of their sins, to accompany a young priest named Tripitaka to India to obtain scriptures. Based on Wu Chen En's original folk epic, with song and dance routines, monster-demons, demon-monsters, not-quite straight buddhist aphorisms, endless choreographed fights, outrageous Japlish accents and Monkey Magic!

It warped my entire generation. So much for me that I updated it to communist China and ran it as a six hour, two part multiform. Still the prime reference about Buddhism for many Australians. Alas!

Keep an eye open for a DVD. We introduced Greg to it on his last visit. :)

Cheers

John

>Err, me? Is "Monkey" some sort of British child's game, or do you mean
>simians?
>
>RR
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Hanna Neumann Building 21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
T: +61 2 6125 0649
F: +61 2 6125 9730