Re: Tarsh Exiles

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:49:15 -0000

Ian, as usual, you've had a perceptive and terrifyingly prompt reply from Peter already! Just to add a couple of thoughts:

I'd probably put a bit more emphasis on Maran Gor that Peter, although I entirely agree that the Exiles have evolved as a haven for all sorts of weird and wonderful (and not so wonderful) anti-lunar forces. But as well as the anti-lunar dimension, there is also the anti-Furthest regime one. Propagandists may paint the Tarshite government as just lunar quislings, but they have interests, agendas and traditions of their own, after all. In this context, I imagine that the Maran Gor cult dominates the Exiles, providing the closest to a unifiying identity, but that there are all sorts of different factions and even the tribes do not necessarily see eye to eye on tactics. So here Peter's analysis of the cults is especially useful

I think you're right in effect on the difference between Esrolian/Exile attitudes, but I'm not too comfortable with the way you framed it. Maran Gor is a bloody, vicious and jealous goddess (as, I suspect, is Sorana Tor). She and the other Dark Earth goddesses will find common cause with Ernalda and accept her role within the great cycle of life, but, a point Peter raised, I somehow don't feel they would look to Storm Tribe philosophies but have their own. In some ways it is Ernalda who is distinctive, having stepped beyond the Earth Tribe without renouncing it. So in effect yes, MG et al are much more violent than Ernaldans (and thus Esrolians), but for their own reasons, because theirs is a hungry Earth which needs placating and appeasing if it is also to give life.

Just in my opinion!

Mark

Dr Mark Galeotti
Director
Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit Keele University, Staffs ST5 5BG, UK
Email: hia15_at_...
Tel: +44 (0)1782 583466
Fax: +44 (0)1782 583195