Re: Re: Tarsh Exiles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:01:04 +1300

Ian Cooper:

>Sorry I was assuming, and I should probably have stated my
>assumption, that the Exiles are Orlanthi [Alakoring + some Heortling]
>and are therefore do worship the Storm Tribe, but that the
>violent/martial aspects of Orlanth are not moderated by Ernalda
>worshippers amongst the Exiles.

IMO the Ernaldans keep the tribe/clan peaceful and care less than Ernaldans elsewhere as to what their hubbies (or sisters) do to foreigners.

>Instead they sacrifice to the violent
>side of the Earth.

I don't think this is possible. If the Ernaldans sacrificed to the violent side of the Earth, they would be Maran Gors, not Ernaldans.

>J Hughes suggested that violent aspects of male
>gods would be rejected by the Ernaldans following their experience in
>the Helm & Sword war.

This would be true mostly for the Esrolians IMO. Ernaldans elsewhere don't seem to have much trouble tolerating those violent aspects. They only make a fuss when the violence threatens the stability of their family and clans.

>Agreed should they win
>back Tarsh, many may return to more peaceful ways...

Under Good King Mularik Ironeye? I doubt it...

>I seem to remember [DP presumably] that many of the clans have turned
>the back on the plough and live by the sword.

It would be nigh impossible for whole clans to do this. A large proportion of individuals within a clan might but they'll have to be supported by the rest.

>Useful, Peter - thanks. Revoloutionary armies are united by their
>desire for revoloution but not their reasons, or beliefs in what
>should come after. My guess is that in HW terms these groups are
>probably hero bands with their own wyter, not religions.

I think religions is more appropriate. The Shaking Earth is a known temple that supports the magicians unit. I do feel that other units should have support among the tribes.

> >It's been pointed out to me in another forum that the Exiles
> >are four tribes

>Do you mean the Glorantha digest; If so I'll search the archives for
>info.

'twasn't the GD and upon reflection I've a feeling the comment might be referring to the four groups above. Looking at the poor bloody mundanes in the exile order of battle (1 cavalry regiment, 2 light cavalry, 3 infantry and 2 archers) and comparing it to Sartar (the Colymar tribe and the Telmori only provides one regiment each, frex), it looks like there's more than four tribes. I think now that the Exiles are a composition of a few tribes plus several independent clans.

--Peter Metcalfe