Re: Re: Tarsh Exiles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:29:38 +1300

Mikko:

>It would be nice to have the DP updated a bit, so that the Sartarite
>armies would be mostly tribal. I'm going to be using the DP game as a
>tool in my Glorantha campaign (1600 ST, war ravages Dragon Pass), and at
>the moment I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out sensible units for
>both sides.

This is what I can suss out for the Sartarite side.

Twin Spears: Praxian Secret Society. Not present in 1600. Swordbrothers: Praxian Secret Society. Worships Humakt?

         Not present in 1600.
Bullocks: Praxian Secret Society. Full of Storm Bullies.

         Not present in 1600.
Pavis Royal Guard: Zebra Riders all the way from Pavis.

         Not present in 1600.
Baron Sanuel: From Vosaxiland. Baron Sanuel has been

         recently appointed by the Lunars (Glorantha: Intro p142).
         Not present in 1600.
Headhunters:  Crypto-Thanatari.  Runequest Adventures #5 places
         them in the Engolli tribe (or clan) living around the
         Fort of that name (east of Aldachur).  Probably the
         Vantaros.
Antlercase:  I'm stuck with this one.  The only remotely
         plausible placename that I can find on the maps is
         Elkenvale, tribal lands of the Cinsina.
Colymar:  The fyrd of the Colymar tribe.  Allegedly "a thousand
         howling warriors" KoS p145.
Tworidge Farm:  Said to be "a large clan", (DP p31).  Tworidge
         Farm lies within the tribal lands of the Malani and so
         this is probably the Malani.
Thieves Army:  Fugitive footpads from the Lunar Empire.  Not
         present in 1600.
Wolfrunners:  At first Telmori.  Later the Telmori turned against
         Argrath (KoS p27) and were skinned.  The Wolfskins, their
         replacements, probably have the same stats.
Freemen:  Stated to be fugitives from the Lunar Empire (DP p31).
         The only possible reason that I can think of is that they
         might be escaped slaves.  Not present in 1600.
Guildsmen:  Probably funded by Goldgotti the merchant prince who
         is mentioned in this context in DP p31.  The name sounds
         vaguely familiar but my memory keeps returning Galeotti
         instead.  Not present in 1600.
Candledancers:  I'm lost.  I have no clue whatsoever about what
         this is meant to be.
Bush Children:  Inhabitants of the Bush Range between Sartar
         and Tarsh.  How on earth they get to be some numerous
         as to provide four regiments escapes me...  Did not
         fight for Sartar in 1600.

Ducks, Ducks and, More Ducks: Delecti-fodder.

The non-listed tribes probably have their troops included in the City Militia, one cavalry regiment and one foot regiment for each of the six cities.

One could say that in 1600 the tribes were much richer and could furnish both the troops required by their City Ring and the tribal fyrd (which the Malani and some others still do). That will make up for the units that weren't present in 1600. The Barbarian Horde (without Jaldon Toothmaker) will also be there, but apart from the Storm Walkers, the Wind Children and the Wasps, the Sartar Magical Union will be absent.

The Lunar side will be fairly similar to that presented in Dragon Pass although quite a few of the unit names will be different in 1600 (as they were eaten by the Brown Dragon and replaced by other regiments). Of the devoured regiments, possibilities are the Wyvern Riders, Sir Holburn's Axe Brothers, the Beryl Phalanx, the Silver Shields (all described in Drastic: Prax) and the Iron Maidens (responsible for killing Prince Jarolar of Sartar KoS p139).

Then there is the matter of reinforcements from the Holy Country...

>How big vere the units supposed to be? 800 men?

Nominally 1000 for a foot regiment, 500 for cavalry. For skirmishers, the unit size could be little as 200.

--Peter Metcalfe