Re: Re: dark Ernalda

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:49:37 +1300

David Dunham:

>Me> I don't think this is possible. If the Ernaldans sacrificed
> > to the violent side of the Earth, they would be Maran Gors, not
> > Ernaldans.

>I know Pam Carlson would disagree, and I think she's right. Ernalda
>is a broad enough deity to incorporate a Dark Side -- similar to the
>way that Orlanth can be a farmer without having to be Barntar (via
>the Orlanthcarl subcult if memory serves).

But Ernalda's Dark Side is Maran Gor. There's no need for her to have a dark side of her own anymore than Maran Gor needs a bright side. As Wyrm Footprints points out

         The three generations of deities here may be recognized
         as the Tripartite Goddess, whose three aspects are the
         Daughter, [...], the Mother, [...], and the Crone, [...].
         In addition to that though, with their sisters they
         encompass the Light and Dark Side of each character as
         well.
                 A short discourse on the Six Daughters of Earth
                         Wyrms Footprints p53.

As for your analogy with Orlanthcarl and Barntar, methinks a better analogy would be between Orlanth Adventurous and Orlanth Thunderous. A follower of Orlanth Adventurous does not worship the powers of thunder - if he did, he would be a follower of Orlanth Thunderous instead.

--Peter Metcalfe