Re: Re: dark Ernalda/Tarsh Exiles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:03:23 +1300

Ian Cooper wrote:

>IC>>I seem to remember [DP presumably] that many of the clans have turned
> >>the back on the plough and live by the sword.

>Me>It would be nigh impossible for whole clans to do this. A large
> >proportion of individuals within a clan might but they'll have to
> >be supported by the rest

>True. IMHO this statement could imply that most of the exile clans
>are war clans, some are balanced, and there are few or no peace
>clans. Of course even in war clans there is agricultural activity.

I think what's being referred to is the restriction on Maran Gor initiates that (from ToTRM#6) "They may not directly till the soil or herd beasts for their livelihood and must east raw meat, fish or fowl at least once a season".

>Some questions remain though: Do the exiles raid and if so, who do
>the exiles raid?

Both Sartar and Tarsh. And the Grazelands for good measure, I imagine.

>There is also a suggestion that they hire out as mercenaries.

Both Sartar and Tarsh. And to the Grazers too for good measure, I imagine.

>Would they hire themselves out
>to the servants of Hon-eel the whore, in Lunar occupied Tarsh, even
>if it was against Sartarites.

If paid enough. The Welsh did fight for Good King Edward after all (admittedly this caused their consciences some trouble at Falkirk). Even though the King is a lunar scumbag, he is the legitimate King of Tarsh.

--peter Metcalfe