Unit Strengths (was Re: Tarsh Exiles)

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:51:38 -0000

Mikko wrote:

> I think elite, highly magical, units like the
> Stormwalkers or the Full Moon Corps propably are not even nearly 1000
> strength. More like a hundread.

> Somehow I still feel I should just rewrite most of the units. Have each
> tribe provide a 1000 strong fyrd, and some kingdom level elite units.
> Also some magician (priests and priestesses) counters.

If you check out the orders of battle from Martin Laurie's campaign on Wesley Quadros' website, _at_

http://www.bvcompuworks.com/wesley/campaigns/gwandor/ob/ob.html

you'll find that the largest empire unit is 900, and many are much smaller. Now this does not mean that the 'regiment' in question is necessarily smaller, just that this may only be a detachment of the whole, or it could be under-strength through casualties, etc. The 'allied' (rebel) forces, though, are organised much more by hero band or location, so I'd agree that the notional of tribal units makes a lot of sense. But to be fair, (a) the existing unit names are atmospheric and fun and (b) Greg's and thus our understanding of Glorantha/DP has come on a l-o-o-ng way from White Bear & Red Moon!

I certainly agree that Exotics are not of the same order - this is a scaleable system, after all. OK, so a Superhero's counter also includes his or her personal band, but essentially we're probably talking only 50 or so extraordinary individuals, so 100-200 for FMC etc seems fair enough.

Mark

Dr Mark Galeotti
Director
Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit Keele University, Staffs ST5 5BG, UK
Email: hia15_at_...
Tel: +44 (0)1782 583466
Fax: +44 (0)1782 583195