Re: Re: dark Ernalda/Tarsh Exiles

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:40:15 -0500

Ian Cooper wrote:

> Peter:
> >It would be nigh impossible for whole clans to do this. A large
> >proportion of individuals within a clan might but they'll have to
> >be supported by the rest
>
> True. IMHO this statement could imply that most of the exile clans
> are war clans, some are balanced, and there are few or no peace
> clans. Of course even in war clans there is agricultural activity.

Actually, it depends on whether they are getting tribute as well from, say travellers and merchants. A raider economy IS possible if you have some place safe to roost.

> Some questions remain though: Do the exiles raid and if so, who do
> the exiles raid? IIRC correctly Lunar supply caravans to Sartar are a
> target, though presumably this a dangerous activity because it risks
> bringing down the full wrath of the Lunar army. Lunar occupied Tarsh
> seems an obvious target (they are liberating resources needed for the
> rebellion and denying them to the enemy), and presumably Sartar is a
> possibility (the Alda-Churi tribes?).

Remember, there is extensive trade along either side of Kero Finn though Sartar and the Grazelanders. Merchants and cattle going-to-market as well as simple stead and cattle raiding.

> There is also a suggestion that they hire out as mercenaries. One
> interesting question is who to? DP has them as an indpendent anyone
> can hire, but is this a game artefact? Would they hire themselves out

They would hire themselves out to feed their families. And I seem to recall that the Lunars have on several occasions hired large numbers of tribesmen to suppress the Grazelanders. And if they Loonies wanted folks to go down to loot in the Holy Country -- I can see that many might go. I suspect there's a spectrum of hatred for the Lunars and many folks will be pragmatic.

> to the servants of Hon-eel the whore, in Lunar occupied Tarsh, even
> if it was against Sartarites. Maybe they would hire themselves out to
> Imperial agents (if the Lunars carefully avoid sending agents
> connected with the Tarshite administration or Dara Happans) for work
> in Heortland, or Pavis, or perhaps even in the the Redlands. Other
> possibilites might include Sartarite tribal kings worried about the
> loyalty of their own tribesmen seeking a foriegn bodyguard etc. Any
> ideas out there?
>
> Ian

Of course, they could be training a hero to rise up and liberate them. Some Manikison fellow. =)

Jeff