RE: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:49:46 -0400

Andrew asks,

On 19 Sep 2004 at 23:25, Andrew Solovay wrote:

> You do realize,
> I trust, that the child was rescued somehow, will grow up ignorant of
> his orgins, and that the sage (by abandoning the child in whatever way)
> has actually set in motion the chain of events that will lead to the
> child destroying the tribe?
>
> Just checking...

Oh, I do. She may. I'm saving this as a possibility. I am also willing (depending on where the story goes) to break with tradition and have her be entirely wrong about the prophecy to begin with.

> I *think* the usual course of action would be to outlaw the sage, and
> kill her on sight. But the tribe might well give her a day to get out of
> dodge, so the tribe wouldn't be put in the position of incurring still
> *more* blood-guilt by killing their own. Luckily for her, nobody
> recognizes her when she takes the beard off, so she was able to slip
> away easily enough...

She is actually thinking about taking a Disfigured stat, to mark the scars she gets in escaping. Or possibly some kind of branding as a traitor.

> And yes, I'm fairly sure that killing anyone else in your clan is
> considered "kinslaying". And as far as the tribe knows (and as far as
> your PC knows), the chief's child is dead. Though perhaps, if the child
> lives, she wouldn't suffer the usual divine curses that attend
> kinslaying.

Possibly. Basically, she thought she faced a choice, kinslaying or the destruction of the tribe. She chose to save the tribe (although she couldn't bring herself to kill the kid directly). Then she found out her horrible act seems to have accomplished nothing and will not save the tribe.

I like the 1 day to run so as not to have more blood on their hands.

LC