Re: Kinslaying (another question)

From: paul_at_...
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:10:01 +0100

janewilliams20_at_... wrote:

> As I understand it, parentage and kinship is not
> determined by genetic ("blood") links but by who
> brought you up. Take a look at Minaryth Blue's "events
> of my life" in KoS (if you can get it) for an example
> - by the time he reaches adulthood, his original
> parents are dead, and he joins the bloodline/clan of
> his mother's sister and the man who seems to have
> brought him up for the last few years.
>
> Harvar is not kin to Priya, and certainly not to her
> sister.

Having had a brief look at KoS it seems to me that it all depends on the exact status of Harvar Ironfist's relation with Priya's mother. If it's just a simple case of a one-night stand or a short affair (as seems to be the case)then I'm pretty sure that paternity is not an issue and Priya belongs to her mother's bloodline whoever her (biological) father was. But if some sort of marriage was involved then things become more interesting and there is a possibility that Priya at least has a claim to be of Harvar's bloodline. If the assassination attempts are connected to the blood relationship then it is likely that there is a complication of that sort involved.

(BTW I can think of at least one published scenario where an unknown blood relationship is a plot point - so whether membership in a bloodline is decided birth or rearing seems to be a YGMV issue).