RE: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:32:45 -0400

Paul, I am taking your use of the dueling interpretations. She does indeed have a book of musty old documents, worse, they might not be Orlanthi in origin. Who's going to believe that?

> > They aren't generally a "writing" people. IIRC literacy is a
> > jealously guarded monopoly of the Lhankor Mhy cult (although I
> > believe that this is an area where YGMV frequently comes into play).
>
> There is a problem that RQ rules assumed basic literacy as the norm -
> all initiates learned to read, though not very well. So campaigns that
> started then, and scenarios set then, have literacy built in.

Jane, I didn't realize that. I am not sure about this monopoly of the Lhankor Mhy cult thing. Literacy seems an odd monopoly here. Now, mathematics I can buy in a heartbeat. While I can sort of see the LM monopoly in Orlanthi culture, I can't see it further south, such as Holy Country, even though Lhankor Mhy originated in Esrolia (if I recall correctly). So that may be a YGMV thing for my game.

LC