Re: Literacy

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:11:17 -0700

Nick Eden <nick_at_...> wrote:

> Thinks: The people we now all think of as Orlanthi are Herotlings. It
> seems to me that the EWF bods may have been starting off as
> worshipping Orlanth, but weren't Heortlings by any stretch of the
> imagination.

Are we sure about this? In the clan-generation section of "King of Dragon Pass", it's made very clear that your clan followed Heort, but one of the questions is, "How do you participate with the EWF/what's your relationship to dragons".

After all, even if the EWF wasn't founded by Heortlings (and do we know that?), they were still an Orlanthi culture just north of Heortland, and you would expect a certain amount of intermingling--at least as much as between, say, Sartar and (pre-conquest) Tarsh.

And even if the Heortlings aren't connected directly with the EWF, they might still react against it. e.g. The Heortlings might say, "When Orlanthi start reading and writing, it leads to degenerate dragon-worship--why, look at what happened to those Orlanthi up in the EWF!" They could say that even if they didn't have a close blood (or cultic) connection to those Orlanthi--they still have a close enough connection for them to serve as a bad example.