Re: Re: Karse and Heortland

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:43:44 -0400

On 21 Sep 2004 at 23:29, jeffrichard68 wrote:

> This is a fair amount in print about bits and pieces of Heortland,
> but little things like "who was the last king of Heortland" is
> unknown. However, its history is largely contained in the history
> of its periphery, which is kind of odd. I don't think it was
> Belintar himself who said "let there be sheriffs, marches, and
> earls" - rather I think it was Andrin who made those changes after
> his return by the God-King. Why the reborn king decided to make
> those reforms is something of mystery.

I can live with that. Not really important to my campaign anyway. It happened around then, that's fine for me.

> There's a lot of old material from some years back on the Glorantha
> Digest from Nick and myself to that regard.

Any keywords in particular I might look at since just looking for Heortland is likely to result in 8million hits? :)

The fact of the matter
> is that Sartar punches way above its weight and it might be better
> to think of the Quivini as being something of an anachronistic
> throwback compared to the Tarshites and the Heortlendings.

I like the suggestion of them as a reactionary, back to basics cult themselves. Like so many post Second Age groups.

> The biggest differences is that most of the Heortlendings will have
> sheriffs instead of chieftains, baronies instead of tribal kingdoms
> and earldoms instead of tribal confederations. But AFAIK, the
> Heortlendings (with the BIG exception of the Esvulari) are otherwise
> fairly standard Heortlings.

Gotcha.

> Thunder Rebels details the four large tribes of the Hendreiki
> confederation: Volsaxar to the north, the Jondalarings of Karhend
> around Jansholm, the Hurlant of Gardufar around Durengard, and the
> Esvulari to the south. There are some other smaller tribes like
> Jondalar as well. Maybe more.

TR should be arriving in the mail soon, so maybe that will clear some things up for me.

> > OK, so really only the middle two earldoms work with this
> approach. The northernmost is
> > officially part of the Kingdom, but has always been somewhat
> problematic and not
> > accepting the high king (who's capital is??). The Southernmost
> earldom is where we've
> > got the Esvulari, who acknowledge the high king, but have a much
> more Westernized
> > culture, and where the Aeolian church is strongest.
>
> This is more or less how I see it. Some two centuries ago (I think -
> Greg can always correct me), Hardrard the Green moved the Volsaxi
> tribal center from Karstanstead to Whitewall. Karstanstead became
> just a summer lodge.

Yeah, that's somewhere in DP as well. (the move to Whitewall.) And the northernmost area is more Sartarite in tendencies.

> It is worth keeping in mind that since Andrin was reborn, power
> drifted into the hands of the Esvulari, "unobtrusively efficient
> followers of the Aeolian Church."

So even if they weren't the cult of the people (even the nobles) outside of Esvular, Aeolians occupied a disproportionate share of important roles.

> Again, that is how I see it. One big difference is that the High
> King replaced the clan chieftains with sheriffs. That reform is
> part of the reason so many Hendreiki left Heortland for Quiviniland -
> and is probably a reason that Hardrard the Green and the Volsaxi
> resisted "the Pharoah and the king of Heortland".

So a High King (still don't know where he tended to rule from), under him earls (equivalent of the head of a tribal confederation) and under them barons (equivalent of a tribal king), under the baron are the sheriffs (equivalent of the clan chiefs).

This is rough ballpark the set up?

> Yep. The Tradetalk article is really good and maybe some of the
> authors might jump in.

Well, if my sailor guy does go Esvulari, I'll possibly hunt this down.

KARSE:
> > I'm definitely making it a cosmopolitan city, with a bit of an
> underside where you can get
> > anything you need if you are willing to pay for it.
>
> Sounds right to me. I just don't think it has the "racial conflict"
> between the Old Matriarchy folk and the nasty Master Race folk.
> However, by all means keep the map if you have it!

There's a version of the actual Welsh town map on Joerg's site, I don't have the Carse supplement though. Hmm.. I happen to like the matriarchy idea, though. Maybe make it a response to the Lunar invasion. Rather than it having been a long-standing thing, have it be a revival movement or Esrolian influence. I'll see if I have a need for it.

Karse seems to be mentioned occasionally as a city god, even if not one of Pavis level. I figured just doing a city guardian/clan wyter style thing for that. Anyone have any official mention of Karse to play with, or is that completely open season?

LC