Re: Re: What's the difference?

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:25:36 +0100

>What's the consensus on how difficult it is to progress within the
>Empire without worshipping the Lunar gods. There's quite a bit of
>stuff about which implies that a lot of high-up people are primarily
>worshippers of other gods - e.g from the Yelmic or Rinliddi pantheons.
>Are these people also members of a Lunar cult - maybe at lay member
>level or are political connections enough to get on without joining
>a Lunar cult (which would also imply they aren't Lunar Citizens)?

It seems pretty clear to me that the nations that are combined into the Lunar Empire have a good deal of autonomy in internal affairs. So the top rank available to a non-Lunar (in principle) is just short of Satrap (where, IIRC, membership of Moonson Imperator goes with the position), And the lower the rank the closer to the traditional pre-Lunar ways I would expect things to be.

The Lunar influence and historical events (like the Seleric Empire) are likely to have made some changes, so I wouldn't expect everything to be exactly the same as it was before the Empire.

Empire-wide positions or those that involve coordinating different peoples are, in my view, ones where it is most likely that Lunar citizens will be found. In the army for instance, if you want to stick in a native regiment all your life you might do well without joining a Lunar cult (although it would probably help get to the upper ranks). If you want to rise above that, membership of a Lunar cult becomes very important.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.