Where are they now?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:46:47 -0500 (CDT)

Friends,

From: "yuskim1" <yuskim1_at_...>
asks

>> >Are some gods, like Flamal and Mostal, dead?

And Peter M answers:

>> Flamal is alive only half the year while Mostal is stilled.

Despite Peter's normal excellent knowledge of the facts, I need to differ with him.
I am sure he will relate any official information which I have published if I am gregging myself, here.

But Mostal, wounded and maimed, did come alive again. If he had not, he would not have any presence on the Sorcery Plane, and his followers would not have any magic at all.

On the same subject,
> From: "Andrew Solovay" <asolovay_at_...>

gives an excellent synopsis.

> Just at a guess--It seems to me like there are four broad categories for
> what happens to a god (or great spirit, etc.) in the Darkness.

I just want to add a couple of notes.

> 1. He never dies. Pretty rare, though (e.g.) I don't think Kyger Litor
> or Waha ever died.

Kyger Litor never died. She never left the Underworld, which is where eerythig goes when it dies. So in a sense, she was never alive.

Waha was not born in the Darkness, but afterwards.

And for the record, the Lightbringers "died" when they went to the Underworld voluntarily.

> 2. He dies and is devoured by chaos. Gone completely, possibly even
> including his name and memory.

Normal for chaos death.
In some really rare cases the name remains afterwards, like Yamsur or Orani, but rarely.

> 3. He dies (perhaps even killed by chaos) but isn't entirely devoured.
> He went to the underworld in the Great Darkness. He returns with the
> Great Compromise, but in Time he spends part of his time dead. (e.g.
> Yelm dies every night and is reborn at dawn, Ernalda dies in the winter
> and is reborn in the Sacred Time.)

I do not think that there is a single case of someone being killed by chaos and returning.

> 4. He is dismembered, possibly including dying, but possibly not. The
> Great Compromise alone is not enough to put a disassembled god back
> together. Until the god is reassembled, he's not in business. When he
> *is* reassembled, he may well be outside the Compromise, since he wasn't
> in Hell when it was hammered out.

Generally so.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.