Re: Elmal Invictus

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:09:51 -0000

> Rob:
>
> >I have a problem with the whole Elmal/ Yelm/ Yelmalio thing.
> >thought that Elmal was Yelmalio-Lite for the Heortlings. But he
is
> >actually Yelm-Light?

Elmal is not so difficult - he's the Heortling sun. When Yelm was killed and the Fire Tribe defeated, Elmal - Orlanth's loyal thane - shone light from atop Kerofin. During the Chaos Age, when Orlanth was on his Lightbringers Quest, Elmal continued to provide light to the Heortlings, but kept getting pounded on by Chaos and Darkness until his light was almost too dim to see. When Orlanth returned from Hell, he returned the horse of Elmal and it galloped to the summit of the sky. Elmal mounted his horse and his light grew strong and powerful again.

As I said, Elmal isn't difficult, it is the presence Yelmalio in Kerofinela that doesn't make any sense (IMO the Yelmalio of Sun County Prax makes perfect sense). Basically, he's a foreign god that has been adopted by disgruntled and insecure Elmal worshippers.

Jeff