Re: Musings on Beowulf and Grendel

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:19:51 -0000

> BTW I lost most hope for "Alexander" when I saw the trailer.
Colin Farrell delivers a line about fighting for the "freedom of Greece" (flash to Mel in blueface). This supposedly from the son of Philip II...

Not necessarily unhistorical. One of the proferred justifications for war with the Persians was freedom for the Greeks of the Ionian coast. Aristotle's nephew Callisthenes (who was later executive by Alexander over his rebellion against proskynesis) described Alexander's victory over the Persians as the work of Nemesis for Persia's misdeeds against the Greeks.

Jeff