RE: one day a Troll saved me

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:12:57 +0100

> I'm certainly thinking there was some ritual
> reason for it, that the Troll
> had an abnormal reaction to this bound and helpless meal for
> some reason. I can
> understand Trolls not necessarily eating a human baby left on
> their doorstep (came
> across a scenario just like that on the very fun Wonderhome
> site) but I'm looking for
> suggestions why a helpless human wouldn't get gulped.

Well, there's the obvious cliched reason. But then cliches become cliches because they work.

Here's the Prachett version from Light Fantastic:

"Legend?" [Rincewind] said. "What legend?"

"It's been handed down from mountain to gravel since the sunset of time," said the first troll. "'When the red star lights the sky Rincewind the wizard will come looking for onions. Do not bite him. It is very important that you help him stay alive.'"

There was a pause.

"That's it?" said Rincewind.

"Yes," said the troll. "We've always been puzzled about it. Most of our legends are much more exciting."