Re: Tattoos: practical, quest-generated, or a bit of both?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:23:44 -0700

> I've never noticed a tattooist listed among the Heortling occupational
groups.
> Does anyone have a clear take on whether Heortling tattoos are "real" --
> generated in this world, possibly by the godi, at appropriate stages of
life
> -- or whether they're imprints you bring back from heroquests (including
> initiations)?

Yes :-).

John Hughes has a lot of tattoo lore, but basically all of the above apply. Storm Tribe Knowledge would probably be good enough for Childhood initiations, family or clan tattoos, mundane rites of passage ("First animal hunted", "kill marks", whatever), though I bet that the two genders have different "secret" markings, so that there are both male and female artists. The inner secrets of the various cults would probably not be known to "outsiders", so each cult will have it's own tattoo artists to bedeck their worshippers (Subcult markings, magical rites of pasage, etc).

Let's see, I'd probably use the Craftsman keyword (Thunder Rebels 160) with "Know male tattoos" *or* "Know female tattoos" as part of their skill set. They could also pick up "Know [Cult] tattoos" for whatever cult they belong to, but possibly only as a Godi or Devotee of the cult - would you want to give away magical secrets to a mere initiate?

I wouldn't create gods for the tattoo artists - they get magic from normal cults. (Though "Tattoo Magic" might be a cool thing in the East Isles... maybe bring back Integrated spirits from Hero Wars...)

RR
- Richelieu