Re: Prax climate

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:55:07 +1100

At 01:32 AM 1/11/04, Pedro wrote:
>I guess thats my problem with accepting this. I can't think of a
>real-world example that sheds 90% of its precipitation.
>Thunderstorms in hard-packed deserts do, but then you are talking
>about the entire 3" annual rainfall dropping in a single event. My
>training as a biologist/ecologistis causing me trouble seeing the
>better part of 4' of water flowing off the landscape. I don't see
>the areas beyond the river valley recieving that much rain without
>supporting some large ephemeral streams well into Fire Season. If
>that's the case, they would be major landmarks on the map, and Prax
>wouldn't be such a harsh landscape.

  Remember that it's a desert 'cos Genert's dead. That in itself could have the effect that the ground won't accept all the water it should. Also, his river spirit died as well, and that's going to affect the water system of the whole Greatlands.
  It's a harsh landscape because Genert's dead, not because the rainfall's too low. I'm sure that the rainfall is the same as it was for Genert's Garden - it's the land that has changed, not the climate. (of course, the climate will have changed a bit with the rise of the desert.)

--
Paul May