Re: WEapons

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:55:51 -0800

> > >But yes, I am reminded that under British law, the Bagpipes are (or
> > >were) an offensive weapon.

Actually, only by interpretation of the Law, not the Law itself.

Bagpipes (of any type) are *not* mentioned in the Act of Proscription of 1747(http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/proscription_1747.htm).

The actual Act only mentions "weapons", without specifying what a "weapon" might be (It does reference an act of 1716 that specifies: "That from and after the first day of November, which was in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and sixteen, it should not be lawful for any person or persons ... to have in his or their custody, use, or bear, broad sword or target, poignard, whinger, or durk, side pistol, gun, or other warlike weapon...")

James Reid was executed in York in 1746 for being a piper, the court deciding that "no highland regiment ever marched without a piper and therefore his bagpipes in the eyes of the law, was an instrument of warfare". This is the closest I could find to actual Law on the subject (as opposed to all the authors that simply declare "they were outlawed by act of Parliament".

> > I expect the Lunars have banned them in Sartar as well.
>
> Thereby removing one Glorantha/RW parallel, in which the Romans
> *introduced* the bagpipes to Britain rather than banning them. Fine.

You're just using the wrong parallel - in this particular circumstance, Lunars=British, not Romans :-).

RR
- Richelieu