Divorce Heortling Style

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:36:46 -0600 (CST)

Friends,

I would like to put my oar in the water for this discussion.

First, this has taken a "way too modern" swing, in my humble opinion. These arfe not modern folk with our sensibilities.

"Visitation rights" themselves is the very start of it. I don't think there are any such thing. That is, there is no "right" accorded to either party.

The children are members of a clan, and that clan keeps the kids. Period. Since this is generally (though not always) the father's clan, then it is up to the clan to decide if the mother gets to visit at all.

> From: "blerg2" <blerg2_at_...>

suggests

> I expect that the "worthies" oversee matters to make sure that no one
> screws up a simple divorce and turns it into a blood feud and/or kin-
> slaughter.

The rules for divorce are simple. The wife gets her dowry back and goes home. She may get some of the increase int heir joint wealth, if it occured, depending entirely upon clan law. No need for negotiation.

If the worthies sit in at all, it will be to make sure the departing spouse does not get more than she is due.

Tha said, it is likely that affection remains begtween family, and since most folks marry someone rom close by they will likely see each other at the regular religious rites and various market functions.

Happy New Year, to all.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.