Re: Religious ranking?

From: Manuel MOLINIER <astaroth.maillist_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:36:08 +0100

>From what I remember even in Old RQ is that the Hierarchy of many a religion is not based on Devotion to the god you serve but on politics.
You might be the better Ernaldan Healer it will not grant you any position if you are not good in social aspects. After that the respect of the other in your skill/faith might bring them to follow/obey without actual rank. There is an hint of this kind of structure (if we can call it like this) in the Urox cult in Storm Tribe : In case of meeting a chalenge/fight show the Jarl (chief) and if a Disciple is present he is directly named chief. To me the old Runic Lord are Disciple in HQ/HW more than Devotee.Devotee is an intermediate level showing devotion but not rank (you can devote yourself at initiation). In my opinion Gloranthan religion are kind of what Earth religion have always been : the Hierarchy is out of politics and rarely of faith. To climb the stairs you have to make most people like you etc ... In old RQ it was determined by : If a place is available and the candidate ...

Manuel

  Back in RQ days, there was a rule that initiates did what Rune Lords   told them. Is there any such rule, social convention, or anything   else, that defines the relationship between an initiate and a Devotee?

  I'd assume that if the two people are already in a common social   structure, then the rules of that structure define their   relationship. But if a devotee of Cult X walks into a bar (campsite,   fight, whatever) where there are initiates of Cult X present, will   they recognise him as having some sort of authority over them, or   not? Will they even know he's a devotee without proof, unless he's   famous?

  Now suppose they're all at a holy site of Cult X - same answer, or   not? Think of those temples in Sartar that are jointly used by   several tribes - would a Devotee at one of those be able to give   orders to Initiates from other tribes? To what extent would their noncult    social/political position affect this?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor