Re: Re: Social Cult Ranks or Devotees vs Initiates

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:21:44 GMT

In message <crjde9+s02g_at_...> "Mark Galeotti" writes:

>Think of it this way. A Catholic priest of no particular distinction
>has within his congregation a highly-regarded theologian and charity
>worker, who has had an audience with the Pope, worked with Mother
>Theresa, etc. The priest may feel rather jealous of this 'devotee'
>but either way, he will probably show a degree of respect, even
>deference towards him. I'd imagine the views of the 'devotee' would
>be taken very seriously. However, while that 'devotee' has
>_influence_ and _moral authority_, he has no right to _command_ the
>priest in any way.
>
>Likewise other 'initiates' within the congregation. They may look up
>to the 'devotee' but he cannot tell them what to do -- and,
>ultimately, it is the priest who will lead the mass and hear their
>confessions.

I would describe a Catholic priest as a devotee, just as monks and nuns are. Indeed a priest I know was very scathing about overstating on the importance of the various ranks of the priesthood. Initiates are those lay people who spend significant time on work for the church, usually unpaid.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/