Re: Karse and Refuge

From: Ian Young <Ian_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:48:44 -0000

> Just for the record, when I plopped those places into Glorantha it
was to
> use the maps, and I never really tried to equate the social data in them
> to anything in Glorantha.
>
> So you are free to interpret it as you wish, because YGWV.

Of course. One of the things that I really enjoy about the HeroQuest interpretation of Glorantha is the official emphasis on unofficial variants. My Glorantha does, indeed, vary! :)

That said, I have the maps, too, as well as the background data, and I've been itching to use them in a Gloranthan campaign for a couple of decades now. I assure you that I'll be playing fast and loose with the social data in those campaign books myself, but I enjoy the basic background in each, so I'd like to draw certain loose correspondences to help ease them into general Gloranthan canon.

So, by dictatorial fiat for my personal campaign, I'll declare that the "Old Race" of Carse are the Esrolians of Karse, and the "Kingdom" folk are Heortlings. As I suggested earlier, they seem logical and comfortable fits. Now, for the governor of Refuge/Sanctuary, if I want to keep an analogue to Prince Kadakithis, an out-of-favor semi-exiled high noble, would it make sense for him to be an outcast from the Holy Country? If my campaign was taking place post-Lunar invasion, it'd make sense to have him be a Dara Happan exile like Duke Raus, but that's not currently the case (again, c.1618). What's the scoop on Belintar and the Holy Country around this time? Time to dig out Glorantha: Crucible of the Hero Wars, I guess.

!i!