Orlanth as sailor's god.

From: Groovemaster <coridan_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:32:32 -0500

Now, please bear in mind that I have as of yet to read Men of the Sea.

Fact - Great Orlanth, in his many faces and guises, is the father of all storms, as he inherited such from his father Umath.

Fact - As demonstrated by the Elemental Wheel, Storm holds primacy over Sea. This is demonstrated not only by magical theory but also by mythology, as related by the victories of the Storm Tribe over Magasta's get.

Fact - Various Gloranthan sources tell us that Orlanth is worshipped in Pamaltela, although no doubt in a different form than what the Heortlings know.

Fact - Sailing is adventurous!

Fact - Much of Maniria has coastline.

So, what does this mean?

I would propose that Orlanth is a popular sailor's god, especially amongst Genertelans who sail and who are theists, such as Esrolians and the like. I can imagine that of the many gods that Dormal appeased during his HeroQuests and rites of opening, Orlanth and Brastalos were two whom he wanted at his back, instead of swamping his ship. I can imagine that sailors who don't care overmuch for the alien Magasta would pay an Orlanthi godar well to travel with them onboard ship. A magician who can command the winds must be an incredible boon to any ship captain.

Further, for some reason a crew of Orlanthi pirates who worship Orlanth or his sons in grim aspect, raiding the coasts, or perhaps Valind or Ygg of 3-Step.

And Issaries traders who are sea-going would no doubt drag along anyone with wind powers that they could get.

So, what's the deal with Orlanthi sailors?

CB