Re: Orlanthi pilgrimages; electronic files

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:27:28 -0800

Guy wrote of Kero Fin:

> So, I assume that she is an object of pilgrimage for Orlanthi all over
> Glorantha? I have visions of strange people from Umathela showing up in
> Dragon Pass from time to time, not to mention Orlanthi from Ralios,
> Talastar, and even a few confused Sylilans...

Personally, I suspect the Umathelans don't recognizably worship Orlanth, they've been cut off for so long and had extensive God Learner influence (unlike the Heortlings, who were part of the EWF). Of all the Orlanthi, I believe they are the least Orlanthi.

However, their main god is not native, and he comes from the north, so...

Jeff alluded to a scene in King of Dragon Pass:

"A strange group of travellers has arrived in your tula, riding old-fashioned chariots. Their speech is unintelligible, but they gave the Orlanthi greeting. By using the Trader's Talk used by Issaries priests, they manage to convey that they are travellers from distant Ralios. As near as you can make out, they're on a quest to Orlanth's "starting point.""

When I wrote this, I meant "starting point" to be where Orlanth left on the Lightbringers Quest.

Christoph responded to me:

> > And selling anything over the Net is more expensive than selling it in a
> > store.
>
> Oh, why is that so? I would have thought that it would be the contrary...

Presumably there is a greater chance of fraud. There is no physical object which changes hands, and the merchant never even talks to the customer.

Graham added:

> I nearly fired off a message disagreeing with David's original
> statement.

I was referring to credit card fees (which are paid by the merchant), not to online stores vs bricks & mortar.

If I recall, my original point was that there are complexities to the idea of selling electronic files that most people probably aren't aware of (just as it took me a long time to learn that when you see software in a mail order catalog, you are seeing an advertisement paid for by the publisher -- selling space in a catalog is how mail order companies make most of their money).

> The truth is that credit card companies have always hit small businesses
> harder than larger ones, and many on-line businesses are small.

Issaries is small.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein