Sartar and forests (was: Forest navigation)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:02:28 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Jane Williams wrote:

> > > Sartar isn't as wild a place as one might think.
> > There has been steady occupation and expanding population for
> > several hundred years (well for several thousand really).
> >
> > Sartar wasn't, AFAIK, much populated between the
> > Dragonkill War and the human resettlement. Since there were
> > around 500 years between those events, I'd say that any land
> > that could regrow forest, did. Very vigourously!

> I believe the Colymar re-entered the place in the 1400s? 200 years of
> occupation, after, as you say, 500 of abandonment. That's not very long
> at all.

There's another question here as well. Yet again, that of scale.

For those of you that take the (tiny) measurements of the whole of Glorantha as Gospel there propably isn't that much wilderness in Sartar. There just isn't room.

But for those of us that scale the maps so that Sartar is about the size of Ireland, and the Empire the size of the Persian empire there will be plenty of wilderness.

If Glorantha has a high overall population density, it's much less wild than I personally like it to be.

250.000 people in an area the size of Ireland fits the early iron-age technology level of Glorantha (Heortlings, at least) pretty well.

        -Adept