Re: Tool use vs. weapon use (was Axes)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:45:49 +0000 (GMT)

> It makes a big difference when the chopped thing is
> chopping back. A big enough
> difference that kid or steadwife without weapon
> skills is probably best modeled by having
> them use their "Heortling 17" with a -10 modifier.

Yes, I rather thought the conversion from tool to weapon looked as if it should be harder than was being suggested. But never having used an axe for either, nor any weapon that could also be a tool, it was hard to be sure.

> Shifting slightly--I would imagine that a tool smith
> and a weapon smith in glorantha work
> very different magics in the making of their goods.
> Tools have blessings to AVOID injuring
> people, while weapons exactly the opposite.

Nice thought! And very reminiscent of the difference between "real" combat and re-enactment combat. Though you still wouldn't want your sword cutting the wielder too often, I think?

Jane Williams