Re: Lunar penalties

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:24:18 -0500

Greg Stafford wrote:

> At 01:23 PM 1/23/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> >Lunars are the law, and are free to hand out
> >any punishments they want to the locals. I'm not convinced there is a
> >standard, or even particularly a legal system in Sartar in the 1610s/20s.
> This is correct.
> The suggestions I made are those that are encouraged by the provincial
> government.
>
> --------
> Greg Stafford

Of course, trials are conducted in New Pelorian, the rules are Not Our Rules and the victims, er, criminals have no idea of what is going on until sentence is carried out. Oh yes. Very, very useful... And the judge is pretty much left to do whatever he sees fit -- order in the Empire _will_ be maintained.

I am reminded of the Romans in Britian -- taxfarming and legal macinations by Roman 'businessmen' eventually provoked things like the Iceni revolt (or the Jewish one, for that matter). Lots of good texture and colour in that segment of history.

Jeff