Re: Lunar penalties

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:10:35 -0000

This brings to mind one of the best sessions of a Runequest campaign, run by Jeff Kyer, that I was privileged to play in, years and years ago. "We" (mostly one of my characters pulling other's strings, but no matter) had disrupted the dedication of a new lunar temple in Duck Point. Besided disrupting the ceremony and ruining a few lunar careers, there was the loss of a substantial number of lunar soldiers and magicians when the presiding priest (the local governer's son) somehow ended up channeling cacodaemon (long story, won't get into it here).

The party was rounded up by the surviving lunars with little difficulty, and then had the sentencing hearing.

When we were first sentenced to hang several dozen times the mood was grim, but as the multiple crucifictions, drawing and quarterings, etc, etc, mounted up for all the various offenses it became hilarious, in a morbid sort of way. Sure, they were going to kill us, but what a blow we had struck!

Then the final line of the sentence was delivered: "and with modern resurection technology, we can and will complete the entire sentence."

Suddenly we got very quiet!

--Bryan

PS. We were then offered an out--take on a "suicide mission" that left only one character with soul fairly intact. Him I could see translating nicely to hero wars some day....