RE: Re: What the Dragon Said

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:31:08 -0000

 Mike Dawson
> As you mention it, I begin to wonder how I'll handle this. My
> game's Nearly Undifferentiated Man has a Green Age keyword
> that includes Speak Any Language.

Quite a lot of PCs do have the sort of ability that lets them understand languages. Good enough to understand Draconic is rare, but I'm sure it exists.

> And they've just been pulled into helping Danar as he
> provides extraordinary support to Kallyr's attempt to break
> the Wind Stop by finding Voria....

Great! So you have Danar appearing that far back? Good idea, I'm sure he was around. (Though I wonder if the idea of using an interesting NPC in non-authorised and intended ways is going to upset Greg? If so, all he has to do is give the narrators the data about him so as to avoid clashes, and end of problem.)

> Thinking aloud: Perhaps I should actually spend some time
> thinking about what goal my heroes might have that doesn't
> involve getting off the Boat?

I would if I were you. There's a lot of people on that Boat with lots of different goals. Kallyr's hitching a ride to one particular spot, I'm sure others are doing similar things.

> Does that thought give you pause, Jane?

Actually I'd thought of it a while ago, but not in much detail. Another way of using that beautifully described travelogue - have the players along to carry out their own agenda, not as Kallyr's ignorant flunkies. But until I have players or PCs who'd have that sort of agenda, no point for me in paying it much more attention.

> Others? It just did
> me. Most every hero has someone or something they'd like to
> rescue from the underworld, and the Boat Planet is about to
> make a guaranteed passage through there.

As did the Cradle a while back. Well, a bit less guaranteed.

> > But, as I say, they can be as close as they like, and she *still*
> > won't be giving away that secret. The only difference
> closeness will
> > make is whether she apologises for the secrecy.
>
> I can buy this last part. At least partially. Those pesky
> hero points are the problem. Even if you say there's a high
> resistance to your Kallyr Trusts Me relationship, then
> someone will spend a point.

And I'd say that in that case, so does she. I'm quite sure she's got them. And she'll have other supporting NPCs intervening - Minaryth for one.