Re: HQ followup for kids?

From: zomben <zomben_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:16:22 -0000

> > And much as we all love it, I'd say take the focus off of
> Glorantha.
>
> why? When I started running my campaign way back when, we played
> for months before anyone killed anyone. Its actually very very bad
> mojo to kill other tribes people in Sartar. All the published
> (Issaries at least) works point that way. There is a whole sequence
> in BA where it all goes pear shaped because of inter trabal killing.

Okay, I probably wasn't being very clear, sorry... What I was really getting at, was that the _story and system_ should be the focus of the rules for this demo game. Not the setting. The setting should be something for them to grasp simply, so the story has some framework.

The only reason I recommended something like Arthurian Myth, or Middle Earth, is that it's more easily accessible to the Average Joe.

That being said, there's no reason to strip out Glorantha for this demo if you feel you could make it work. Just don't make the setting the focus of the game. Remember, these parents are going to want to get an idea of what the game is that their kids are playing. They're not signing up for a seminar on "Glorantha 101."

Instead of saying "Okay, you're all Hsunchen from East Ralios" or something, just say, "Right, so you guys are like cavemen." It'll be much easier for a non-gamer/non-Gloranthaphile to grasp.