Re: The Hidden Gale storms Crescent Manor...

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:56:58 -0000

Alexandre Lanciani wrote:
> 1) How strong is the garrison of a typical sartarite Lunar fort?

No idea, I could make some guesses for you if that would help.

> For Crescent Manor I was thinking of 20 hoplites and 10 Grazer
>mercenaries.

Is Crescent Manor a fort - not sure where this is described. I'd assumed it was a lunar slave farm (I think of fortifed Roman Villa with a lot of slaves, but Borderlands is also an inspiration - see below). I've no idea how common lunar forts are. AFAIK the Lunars have tended to garrison Sartarite cities and forts. They presumably patrol the roads. They don't tend to venture into the hill country without specific reason such as tax collecting, raising a temple to Orlanth, hunting down rebels. IIRC Martin Laurie suggested there were 6 regiments in Sartar. So there are going to be spread across exising fortifications; any forts are presumably waypoints to keep lines of communication open between the occupied Sartarite cities and forts.

> In command there would be the General (Lercius Crassius, Urvainus

Seems extreme for a fort. I'm not much of an expert on Lunar military organisation but a General is a field commander. Fazzur Wideread is a General and he is in command of all Lunar forces at the time of Starbrow's rebellion. Of course if it was a villa then it might be his country home, in which case he and his bodyguard might well be at home when the rebels attack.

As for troops present, this depends whther you see it as a fort or a villa. If it is a fort protecting a line of communication then the size of the garrison will depend on how much they expect to be attacked, and the importance of what the are guarding. An outpost checking the traffic in the roads might be a dozen men. An outpost in hostile territory might be 30 or 40 soldiers more at times of crisis. I am thinking of the execellent RQ supplement Borderlands (well its one of my favorites) here which has a lunar settlers' fort under construction in the River of Cradles, with 30 or 40 mercenaries (including the player characters).

Once you hve figured out what he fort does, you can figure out who is there.

Don't forget that in 1614 you are just after the rebellion. Clans that supported Starbrow have ben hit hard in punitive taxes, clans being forcibly broke off, leaders driven into exile, their warriors killed, and their enemies are rading them. They are not going to be that much in favor of a band of rebels stirring up more trouble and the hand of Lunar retaliation. The clan generator on the web site cna give you a feel for the impact of siding with the rebels on a clan.

Ian