RE: Re: Elemental associaltions

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:57:46 -0000

Me:
> >The main change that I remember is that *enchanted* iron now
> messes up
> >magic, and the whole point of enchanting it used to be to stop that.

Peter Metcalfe:
> Doesn't say anything about enchanted. It only says
> "refined". One can have ordinary iron weapons that work just
> like bronze, refined iron weapons that do extra damage but
> zonk out magic and enchanted iron weapons that don't zonk out
> magic. IMO the last tier is rarer than it was in Runequest.

Suddenly it all makes sense. I'd never realised there was a distinction between "refined" and "enchanted" - there was untreated iron, that no-one in their right mind used, and enchanted iron, where the enchantment was most of the price (very high). That's my memories of RQ3, though, and since it never affected me directly, I never checked details.

There's an unused set of RQ2 rules on the shelf.... Yes, it looks like any cult could enchant their own iron, at a "cost" of "one point of divine intervention" to do yourself a complete set of equipment. And DI was a "rune magic spell". So that's easy, any Rune Level in any cult could do it, and as I say, no-one in their right mind would leave their iron able to mess up their magic.

Who can enchant your iron these days?
Checking cult writeups.... Looks like Humakt (Inginew Redson subcult) and Babeester Gor. And they can do it for anyone, it's not just the old limit of only beng able to do it for your own equipment.

There seem to be very few people able to work iron in the first place. Gustbran can't. Would there in fact be anyone who could work iron, who couldn't also enchant it?