Re: The Hidden Gale storms Crescent Manor...

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:24:44 +0100

> At 02:44 PM 1/24/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>> 1) How strong is the garrison of a typical sartarite Lunar fort?
> What kind of fort?

    IMG (even though the name Crescent Manor was taken from TotRM #18 I don't know if it was originally planned to be a villa or a military fort) it's one of the forts built to house the tribal overseers appointed after Kallyr's failed rebellion. I don't know where, but I recall having read that after the rebellion the lunar presence becomes more intensive and troops which were previously confined to towns are seen in lesser roads. (I'll admit my less-than-noble inspiration: the first (wooden) fort that William Wallace destroys in the movie Braveheart.)

> A gneral and staff for 20 real soldiers and 10 subhuman horsemen? What did
> he do wrong to get such a lousy assignment? This isn'e ven a century of men!

    Yes, now I understand Charles' comment! As for the grazers, maybe he's a progressive... :-)

    More seriously, if the command is there to make sure that the lunar presence is felt thoroughly, what should be its composition? How many men? Surely 20 or 30 are not enough to patrol the whole tribal lands, much less to enforce the lunar rule only by their presence. But 100 men are too many, especially compared to what the local overseer could levy on a typical sartarite tribe without inciting open revolt.

    The command group should include IMO at least a yanafali type - after all the garrison will probably include mercenaries form different countries, as well as local collaborators, not all clan objecting lunar rule - and a seven mothers missionary. If the commander is not a ranking officer (and definitely he isn't a General, at least not in the Glorantha: Intro sense), then he is the yanafali, but I like the idea of having two factions (solar vs. lunar). Maybe it's too much for such as small detachment. (Note that the detachment isn't necessarily small, after all it must control all the lands of the Lismelder tribe.)

    And still nobody has answered my question on magical defenses... I know there is a whole subchapter in HW:RiG on this topic, but I (and my players, I guess) wouldn't mind a few more nifty ideas. ;-)

--
Regards,
Alexandre.