Re: The Hidden Gale storms Crescent Manor...

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:09:28 -0000

For starters, let me say that I have no idea of the answer to that question. However, since you stated that it is under construction, I think you can ignore "typical" and focus on what works for the game, and what makes sense. So, going from there, and taking human nature into account....

First of all, start with who is doing the construction. We're talking Lunars, so I would guess slaves provide most of the labour. There might be a fair number of slaves. 50? 100? You'd have at least one overseer for the slaves, maybe with a few subordinates. I don't know what cult they would be from, but they are probably fairly capable fighters in a rough and tumble sort of way. The slaves won't fight, but the attackers could cause chaos by setting them free, I'd imagine. Heck, some might even follow the hidden gale home and become new followers!

Then you need some skills. Assuming this is an army project you'd probably have an engineer of some sort, probably a follower of some fairly obscure cult. He (or she) would probably have a small staff soldiers. They are probably neither especially well trained or well equipped, but enough to deal with merchants and craftsmen. Perhaps 6 to 10 sword and shield, 17 close combat, leather armor types with pretty decent morale, but mostly focussed on keeping themselves and the engineering staff alive. There may also be clerical staff, but they probably don't matter much in the fight.

There would be some skilled tradesmen, either lunar or hired on locals, but you can probably assume they'll mostly avoid fighting....but you could always throw in one burly stonemason wielding a large hammer with his "Strong 10W" just for fun.

Now you need a mob of regular soldiers who's job is to bully the slaves and extract bribes from the locals. This isn't exactly a prestige job, I'd think, so again not crack troops. It is fun for heros to beat large number of opponents, so you can always up the number and lower the skill a bit. Maybe 30 or 40 low grade peltasts with close and ranged combat 16 or 17 or so, leather armor and spears? Also with not great morale. I picture them as being recruited from the lower class of farmers in Tarsh or Peloria, and they probably have no idea why these people want to kill them so badly. They would have an officer of some sort, who might be quite nasty in a fight (heck, he's probably just nasty all around). The officer probably has the skills to lead basic worship services too and may have useful levels of magic, including something quite evil, no doubt. There is probably something like 3 or 4 sub-officers, possibly not much more skilled than their men but with marginally better equipment and magic.

By the way, I wouldn't think hoplites would get assigned in small groups very much--they depend on large formations to be effective-- which is why I suggested peltasts.

All of the above groups would probably be solar, although the peltasts may only actively worship their regimental spirit.

Then there is the troop of grazer mercenaries that you mentioned, who probably provide most of the real security for the place. They of course will have one or two leader types, who might have cool integrated spirit or something equally colorful.

Finally you have the person officially in charge of the whole site. He could be as competent or not as you desire. Somehow I envision the 9th son of some minor branch of nobility, with no great skill but some decent magic and a hero point or two to blow making sure some of it works for him. Of course he'll have his own personal entourage, most of whom won't matter in a fight, but like you said a god-talker type would make sense, and he may have a few more elite (not to mention clean and well spoken) personal guards. This whole group is lunar.

So that would make around 9 groups for you to run:
- Chief slave overseer with two or three followers (high combat skill
but no armor, low edge weapons)
- engineer (low combat skill) with some followers.

Most likely they wouldn't all be in the fight at once, however, so it shouldn't be that hard to manage.

Adding in the support staff, camp followers, and slaves, it could be an encampment of a couple of hundred people or more--makes it look more impressive than it really is.

As to magical defenses, I'd think something like "resist storm" or "calm winds" to keep the orlanthi from just flowing right over the walls like they weren't even there with their movement magic.

I don't know if any of that was of any use or not, but I hope so.

--Bryan