Re: Malia vs Mallia

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:14:53 -0000

> >And for what it is worth, I use a lot of Norse loan words for the
> >Heortlings and David uses a lot of Old Irish loan words for the
East
> >Ralians.
>
> Well, sort of. What I do is be purposely ignorant of the correct
> pronunciation of Irish, and pretend they're written in English.
Then
> I correct the spelling mistakes. My intent is that no speaker of
Old
> Irish would recognize them, because East Ralios is not Ireland.
> I don't recommend that anyone use any existing language for a
game,
> for the same reason you shouldn't be saying "Heortlings are
Vikings."

Yes. And spoken Heortling is not old Norse. But since Greg is not a linguist, we use RW loan words to connote the feel for a given Gloranthan language. Personally, I doubt Heortling sounds anything like old Norse, Anglo-Saxon or Irish. But the loan words give the right feel.

Jeff