Re: Re: Other Chieftain Gods

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:36:23 +0000 (GMT)

> > It is generally agreed that parts of KoS are
> biased, inaccurate
> > and misleading - it's not even internally
> consistant. Which is one
> > reason arguments based on it are off topic here.

I thought it was because it predates HW/HQ, and we can't reasonably expect everyone to have a copy? (Though since KoS is still in print and BA is not... hmm.)

> Nonetheless, the Report on the Orlanthi and the
> Events of My Life are pretty darn accurate.

The Report is repeated in some HW book or other, isn't it? At least in part?

And yes, accurate but incomplete is how I've always found both. In this case, it describes a standard male Orlanthi chief's duties and selection criteria, and ignores leaders based on other cults. (Maybe the others have some title other than "chief"? At least, in Sartarite?)

> In fact, my players have wondered whether
> the Report on the Orlanthi was really commissioned
> by Temertain to
> get an idea about the customs and traditions of the
> hillfolk who had chosen him as leader.

That does make an awful lot of sense. I'd have to examine in nit-picking detail for dating evidence (no, not on this list!) but it's a good reason for such a thing to be written.

Jane Williams